Tom Block’s Takeaways: Biden appears to win, no blue wave, strong Republican showing in House and Senate, Biden agenda starts to emerge. Stimulus possible in lame duck as DC digests positive vaccine news.
- News outlets declared Biden President-elect, President Trump continues to push legal battles but this week the Trump team will need to present evidence if cases are to proceed. Clearly the President believes his most favorable venue is SCOTUS but no roadmap yet of how the Court gets a case.
- No blue wave as Democrats fail to defeat any Republicans member of the House and Democrats lost seats. Republicans outperformed in Senate races and await Georgia runoffs to determine which party controls the Senate.
- Biden and Congress: A man of the Senate, SCOTUS ACA decision, role of Senate moderates as key to deals. Republican Senators Collins and Murkowski could rule Senate agenda. Biden’s relationship with McConnell may help with legislation.
- Biden agenda: executive orders day one, immigration, climate change, and healthcare
- Stimulus and government funding issues for lame duck Congressional session. Impact of vaccine to be determined but 10 million still unemployed.