Algorand: Designing a High-Performance Blockchain
Click HERE for the full copy of this report in PDF format.
- Algorand (ALGO -2.00% ) is a layer 1 blockchain that employs a unique consensus mechanism called Pure Proof of Stake (PPoS), which relies on random node selection to promote decentralization, security, and scalability. Algorand Foundation’s mission is to empower a dynamic, inclusive, and borderless global ecosystem based on the Algorand blockchain technology.
- Algorand Layer 1’s Algorand Virtual Machine (AVM) powers Algorand’s smart contracts and is similar to Ethereum’s EVM. It can process over 6,500 transactions per second with finality under 3.7 seconds. Transactions on Algorand cost only ~0.001 ALGO. Algorand’s AVM also allows for Alogrand Standard Assets (ASAs). ASAs enable specific controls for the issuer of an asset, such as quarantining asset accounts for investigative purposes.
- Algorand’s distinct governance model incentivizes participation by rewarding “Governors” with Algo tokens. Algorand Governors can expect an annual reward rate of anywhere from 6%-24%, depending on the amount of Algo committed to governance accounts. Many Algorand DeFi protocols have enabled “Liquid Governance,” which allows users to participate in governance while using governance-locked ALGO in a capital-efficient manner.
- Algorand has a burgeoning NFT community that has grown despite tough market conditions. Volumes peaked in September, the same time that FIFA announced an NFT Platform in partnership with Algorand.
- Explore our comprehensive research report on Algorand for further insights and analysis.
Key Slides From This Report…
Project Overview (Slide 3)
Pure Proof of Stake (PPoS) (Slide 8)
Growing Ecosystem (Slide 29)
NFTs (Slide 30)
Key Network Adoption Metrics (Slide 38)
Reports you haven't read
After showing gains in after-hours trading, markets retraced on the first trading day after Memorial Day Weekend. President Biden and House Speaker McCarthy struck a tentative deal to raise the U.S. debt ceiling, although markets are ambivalent on whether it can be implemented by the June 5th deadline. SPX and QQQ opened 0.5% and 1.1% higher from last week's close before retracing to 0.1% and 0.9% higher, respectively. Treasury yields...
AI SKEWING THE PICTURE Previous observations highlighted how the decline in crypto prices signaled a temporary liquidity peak, potentially tied to the impending debt ceiling deal. Correlations between BTC, gold, and equities illustrated BTC's sensitivity to liquidity changes. As anticipated, BTC/Gold and BTC/equities (excluding AI-related names) correlations are now strengthening, with gold and equities tracking BTC's lead. Over the past few weeks, our discussions have centered around an observed shift...
Funding declined from $238M last week to $164M this week. Most deals (75%) were in the infrastructure vertical, which increased from $104M to $124M this week, with six total deals. The second most funded sector was Metaverse & Gaming, which rose to $23M in funding this week from no funding last week. Every other sector lagged—Web3 & NFTs had $15M in funding, DeFi had $2M, and CeFi and Mining had...
Stocks and crypto rebound after a week of negative price action amid optimism of a potential U.S. debt ceiling deal. The S&P is up 1.2%, while the Nasdaq gained 2.3%. BTC -2.28% and ETH -1.76% are up 2.1% over the last day. The top two cryptos are seeing near 5-year lows for supply held on exchanges, indicating optimism and demand from users that want to own and use assets on their respective...